Call for Applications
Internews’ Earth Journalism Network (EJN) is pleased to announce its second round of travel grants for journalists interested in attending – and reporting from – conferences and global summits related to biodiversity issues that are taking place in 2023.
This opportunity is intended to enable journalists from around the world to cover biodiversity-related conferences and negotiations for their home audiences.
Eligible conferences may include, but are not limited to:
- International Congress for Conservation Biology — 23-27 July 2023 — Kigali, Rwanda
- 3rd Global Soil Biodiversity Conference — 13-15 March 2023 — Dublin, Ireland
- EcoSummit 2023 — 13-17 June 2023 — Gold Coast, Australia
- Association for Tropical Biology and Conservation — 2-6 July 2023 — Tamil Nadu, India
- One Forest Summit — March 2023 — Libreville, Gabon
Budget proposals can include economy-class airfare, accommodation, meals, travel insurance, visa costs, mandatory COVID-19 testing and transportation costs for journalists to attend the conference of their choosing.
Criteria for evaluating applicants include demonstrated experience covering biodiversity and other environmental topics, clear reporting plans for the proposed conference — including a letter of support from the media outlet which will publish or broadcast reports from the conference — the audience reach of the proposed media outlet, gender balance and geographical distribution across the cohort.
To be eligible for the scholarship, the applicant must:
- Be a professional journalist from or representing an established media house and reporting from a low- or middle-income country. EJN will offer scholarships to journalists from the countries listed here. We will also consider applications from Russia. We especially encourage women, Indigenous journalists and early-career journalists to apply.
- Have previous experience reporting on environmental issues and clearly indicate the kinds of stories they might pursue while attending the conference.
- Commit to attending all days of the conference they are proposing to attend.
- Provide a letter of support from an editor or media outlet, committing to publish or broadcast any stories produced as a result of this scholarship. This is expected of both staffers and freelancers.
- Submit samples of their work, which can be uploaded as documents or web links. Stories can be in any language as long as they are accompanied by a short English synopsis. Story clips related to biodiversity issues are preferred.
- Allow copies of stories produced from the conference to be re-published on the EJN website and distributed via social media, with due credit being given to the original media outlet.
Note: You'll be asked to upload these supporting documents once you start the application process, so please have them handy.
Travel fund logistics
We expect to award scholarships of up to US$2,500 each. The amount may vary depending on whether international travel is needed for attendance at the conference. In general, applications with frugal requests will be viewed with more favor.
Applications for conference scholarships will be accepted until 6th January 2023. Decisions will be communicated before the end of February.
Format and language of publication: Journalists may produce stories in print, online, radio or broadcast formats. Stories produced as a result of this scholarship can be in any language. We ask that Fellows translate at least one of their stories into English so it can be shared with a wider audience.
Acknowledgement of support: We fully respect journalists’ editorial independence, and throughout the conference journalists are free to report as they see fit. We do ask, however, that published stories and/or broadcasts disclose EJN support by including this tagline: “The journalist was awarded a travel scholarship by Internews’ Earth Journalism Network.”
Republication rights: Those who are awarded grants are free to publish or broadcast stories produced as a result of the scholarship first in their affiliated media as long as Internews’ EJN, its partners and the grant funders are also given rights to edit, publish, broadcast and distribute them freely.
Travel requirements and safety protocols
Please note that at a time when many countries are still coping with the spread of COVID-19, there will be added risks and operational challenges involved with international travel.
Journalists awarded scholarships are responsible for their own safety during travel, and for ensuring that they meet any requirements for travel and attendance. Please note that the process of obtaining any necessary visas is the Fellow's individual responsibility.
Participation in-person may require compliance with government and venue requirements, which may include proof of vaccine status, mask mandates, quarantine protocols, and/or testing for COVID-19 before and during the conference.
- Click the 'Apply Now' button at the top of the page.
- If you have an existing account, you'll need to log in. Since we recently updated our website, you might have to reset your password by clicking the “Forgot password?” link in the log in page. If you don’t have an account, you must register by clicking “Log in” on the top right of the page and click the “Sign up” link at the bottom of the page that opens. Click here for detailed instructions on how to create an account, and here for detailed instructions on how to reset your password.
- If you start the application and want to come back and complete it later, you can click 'Save Draft.' To return to the draft, you'll need to go back to the opportunity and click 'Apply now' again to finalize the application.
- Applications should provide a detailed budget in an Excel spreadsheet with justification for the amount requested. Download the budget template now by clicking on this link.
Applications submitted after the deadline will not be considered. Please consider submitting at least one day in advance of the deadline to avoid any issues.
If you encounter difficulties with submitting your application or have questions about the grants, please email [email protected]. Do not contact any other Internews email regarding this opportunity, as we will not receive it.
These scholarships are made possible with the generous support of Arcadia — a charitable fund of Lisbet Rausing and Peter Baldwin.
Banner image: Journalist conducts an interview at UNFCCC COP27 / Credit: Amrita Gupta.