DEADLINE FOR SENDING APPLICATIONS - SEPTEMBER 10TH - 11:59 PM EDT. ONLY APPLICATIONS IN ENGLISH WILL BE CONSIDERED
To submit an application online, you must be registered for an EJN account and be logged in. Please see further guidance at the bottom of this page.
The Earth Journalism Network´s Biodiversity Media Initiative invites working journalists, particularly those from developing countries, to apply.**
We also particularly welcome applicants from journalists who identify as indigenous peoples.
Selected participants will attend a day-long workshop on December 10th before spending Dec 11-17 at the conference developing sources and story ideas, networking with other journalists, and reporting on the negotiations of the 13th Conference of the Parties to the UN Convention on Biological Diversity.
The workshop will provide participants with an overview of biodiversity issues and tips for reporting on the hot topics of the negotiations. During the summit, Fellows will have opportunities for special briefings with national negotiators and key figures in the field of biodiversity conservation.
All participants will have all their travel expenses and lodging covered. We hope they will come away from Cancun with a rich stock of contacts, knowledge and ideas to support their future reporting. The Fellowships are part of the Biodiversity Media Initiative, a three year project that Internews’ Earth Journalism Network is running to encourage stronger media coverage of biodiversity and conservation.
PREREQUISITES FOR APPLICANTS
- To commit to attend all the days of the Fellowship. This requires arrival in Cancun, Mexico, by December 9th and departure no earlier than Dec 18th
- To be willing to share a hotel room with another Fellow
- To have a record of reporting on scientific and/or environmental topics
- To be fluent in English (we recognize that of course a lot of excellent and important reporting is done in other languages but in order to fully take advantage of participation in the COP, it is important to be able to understand and communicate in English).
- To produce stories for your home media organizations as a result of your attendance at the COP13 and be willing to post copies of them on the earthjournalism.net website. A letter from your editor or media outlet supporting your application (freelancers are welcome but must have a letter of support from a media organization that will publish or broadcast your stories)
**We are launching this call for applications thanks to the verbal commitments of support from our prospective donors. Normally, we would wait until we have received written and signed commitments, but in this case time is running short, and we feel it is necessary to begin the process of soliciting applicants now. We fully expect to carry out this Fellowship program, but please be aware that doing so is contingent on receiving the funding that has been promised. Thanks for your understanding.**
To apply, please register on the EJN site and fill out the form available on the following link