DEADLINE: Sunday March 9th, 2014
Development Communications (DevComs) Network in collaboration with Earth Journalism Network (EJN) is seeking applications from qualified environmental journalists in Nigeria to attend a two-day digital tool reporting workshop scheduled for March 20-21, 2014.
Participants will become pioneers of ‘Nigeria Network of Environmental Journalists’, an Associated EJN Network in Nigeria. The capacity building workshop is one of the activities under Internews sponsored Journalism Development Programme that is aimed at building the capacity of environmental journalists, mentoring young reporters, and providing linkages for members where necessary. The overall objective is to form an associated EJN Network known as ‘Nigeria Network of Environmental Journalists’ that is viable and sustainable.
The workshop will build participants’ knowledge of environment issues in Nigeria and equip them with digital reporting tools and skills to effectively report the environment.
How to Apply:
The application is a web-form that can be accessed using the links below. You will need to register an account on earthjournalism.net to complete the form.
Applicant must fulfill the following criteria:
- Must be a Journalist working and living in Nigeria
- Must have a medium where he/she publishes his/her stories (with a proof). Freelance journalists are also welcome to apply so long as they can provide a signed letter of support from their supervisor.
- Must be interested in reporting environmental issues in Nigeria and willing to share written reports
- Should not have exceeded the age of 45 at the time of application
- Should be resident in Lagos or able to incur travel cost to and within Lagos State, Nigeria
Please note that participants will be selected by independent evaluators, who will take into consideration size and reach of applicants’ media organizations, quality of journalism work, and demonstration of interest in reporting environment. Good experience in journalism is critical.
- A copy of your CV and bio, describing your background in journalism and current media affiliation;
- A letter of support signed by your editor/producer/supervisor, acknowledging that you can participate in the entire program, and that your stories will be published or aired by the media organization;
- Two samples of your journalism work (environment-related work is preferable).