DEADLINE FOR SENDING APPLICATIONS - MAY 5TH - 11:59 PM EDT
The Earth Journalism Network, in partnership with the African Development Bank (AfDB) and the Global Environment Facility (GEF), invites working journalists from Africa to apply.
We also welcome applicants from journalists originally from countries outside the continent who are dedicated to covering issues of energy and climate change within the African context.
Selected participants will attend a day-long workshop in Lusaka, Zambia, on May 22nd before spending May 23-25 at the African Development Bank annual meetings, developing sources and story ideas, networking with other journalists, and reporting on news from sessions on energy and climate change in Africa.
The AfDB 2016 Annual Meetings are focused on Energy and Climate Change, in line with the Bank’s new focus on revolutionizing energy for all in Africa. The workshop will provide participants with an overview of climate change issues and energy solutions, as well as tips for reporting on these topics and for navigating the AfDB Annual Meetings. During the Congress, Fellows should have opportunities for special briefings with key figures in the field of renewable energy and climate finance.
All participants will have their travel expenses and lodging covered, but please note our priority will be to select journalists who would otherwise not be able to attend. We expect they will produce stories about climate and/or energy stories based on their participation in the meetings in Lusaka, and hope they will come away from Lusaka with a rich stock of contacts, knowledge and ideas to support their future reporting.
For more information about the Annual Meetings of the African Development Bank, please see the site
For more information on training program partners, please see:
PREREQUISITES FOR APPLICANTS
PREREQUISITES FOR APPLICANTS
- To commit to attending all the days of the Fellowship program. This requires arrival in Lusaka by May 21st and departure no earlier than May 26th
- To have experience reporting on climate, energy and/or environmental topics
- To be fluent in English (We recognize that of course a lot of excellent and important reporting is done in other languages but in order to fully take advantage of the meeting, it is important to be able to understand and communicate in English).
- To produce stories for your home media organizations as a result of your attendance at the AfDB annual meeting and be willing to post copies of them on the earthjournalism.net website.
- A letter from your editor or media outlet supporting your application (freelancers are welcome but must have a letter of support from a media organization that will publish or broadcast your stories).
To Apply, please register on the www.earthjournalism.net website and fill out in English the form available on the following link