Call for Applications
Internews’ Earth Journalism Network (EJN) invites journalists to join a media workshop on the prospects and challenges of renewable energy in India.
The workshop will help journalists gain a deeper understanding of the renewable energy (RE) sector in India today. EJN will facilitate interactions with RE entrepreneurs and organize field visits to nearby RE installations. In addition to these on-ground experiences, there will be presentations from industry experts. Details of fresh story grants will be announced.
The three-day workshop will be held in Kanyakumari, Tamil Nadu, from 18-20 July, 2022. EJN will bear the costs of travel, accommodation and meals for participants.
The focus of this workshop is especially timely in the wake of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s recent pledge at COP26 in Glasgow, committing to expand India’s non-fossil energy capacity to 500 gigawatts and reduce its projected carbon emissions by one billion tons by 2030. By that same year, India aims to meet 50% of its energy requirements with renewable energy and achieve a 45% reduction in its emissions intensity.
The workshop is open to journalists based anywhere in India. We welcome applications from journalists from print, television, online and/or radio. We especially encourage women and early-career journalists to apply.
- Applicants must commit to attending all days of the workshop;
- Have experience reporting on energy/renewable energy/ economy/ business/ environment or related topics;
- Understand and be able to communicate in English;
- EJN and our partners and donors have the right to edit, publish, broadcast and distribute any stories produced for your media outlet as a result of your participation in the workshop, once they have been published/broadcast in the original media outlet.
How to Apply
- Click the 'Apply now' button at the top of the page.
- If you have an existing account, you'll need to be logged in to apply. Since we recently updated our website, you might have to reset your password by clicking the “Forgot password?” link in the log in page. If you don’t have an account, you must register by clicking “Log in” on the top right of the page and click the “Sign up” link at the bottom of the page that opens. Click here for detailed instructions on how to create an account, and here for detailed instructions on how to reset your password.
- Applicants must provide a letter from their editor or media outlet supporting their application. Freelance journalists are welcome to apply but will need a letter of support from a media organization committing to publish or broadcast their stories.
- Applicants must submit two published writing samples or links to stories that have appeared online. Story clips related to renewable energy are especially welcome.
If you encounter difficulties with submitting your application, please email [email protected]. Do not contact any other Internews email regarding this opportunity, as we will not receive it.
Applications submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
Banner image: Wind farm in Kanyakumari / Credit: Raj via Flickr.