Internews’ Earth Journalism Network is conducting a workshop for India-based journalists about state subsidies for marine fisheries. The three-day workshop will focus on how subsidies often harm small fishers and deplete fish stocks.
The workshop is designed as an opportunity for journalists to interact with experts and to participate in a field trip that will enable them to report on this issue. It will be held in Kochi, Kerala, from November 18-20, 2019.
What you Need to Know
- All sessions will be conducted in English.
- EJN will bear the travel, accommodation and meal costs of selected participants.
- Journalists from print, web, radio and television are all encouraged to apply.
- We also highly encourage applications from women journalists, journalists under the age of 30 and those from indigenous or other minority groups.
- Preference will be given to applicants based in coastal states, including journalists from Kerala, and with a record of reporting on coastal and marine environmental and livelihood issues.
Selected participants must:
- Commit to attend all days of the workshop.
- Be able to understand and communicate in English.
- Submit a letter from your editor or media outlet supporting your application. Freelancers are welcome to apply but must have a letter of support from a media organization that will publish or broadcast your stories.
If you produce stories as a result of attending the workshop, they can first be published or broadcast by your home media outlet. However, you must be willing to post copies of them on EJN’s website and alert your editor(s) that EJN will be republishing your reporting in full.
- Click on the Apply Now button on the top right of the page.
- If you have an existing account, you’ll need to log in. If not, you must register for an account by clicking “Join the Network” on the top right of the page.
- If you start the application and want to come back and complete it later, you can click “Save Draft.” To return to the draft, you’ll need to go back to the opportunity and click “Apply Now” again to finalize the application.
- You must submit two samples of stories or links to relevant stories. You’ll be asked to upload these once you start the application process so please get them ready beforehand.
- Applications submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
If you encounter any difficulties with submitting your application or have questions about the grants, please email [email protected].
Banner image: Kottayam, Kerala / Credit: Julia Maudlin via Flickr