President Muhammadu Buhari has ordered the long-delayed environmental cleanup of Ogoniland in the Niger Delta region. He also inaugurated the new Governing Council of the Hydrocarbon Pollution Restoration Project (HYPREP) as well as the Board of Trustees for the Trust Fund.
President Buhari approved the measures on Wednesday at the Presidential Villa, Abuja, aimed at fast-tracking the long-delayed implementation of the United Nations Environmental Programme (UNEP) Report on the environmental restoration of Ogoniland.
According to a statement from the special adviser to the president on media and publicity, Femi Adesina, the president’s actions, which are in tandem with his avowed commitment to working for the development and well-being of all Nigerians, were also based on recommendations to him by the Executive Director of UNEP, the UNEP Special Representative for Ogoniland, Permanent Secretaries of the Federal Ministries of Environment and Petroleum Resources, and other stakeholders.
He further approved that the HYPREP Governing Council should be composed as follows:
- Ministry of Petroleum Resources (1 Representative)
- Federal Ministry of Environment (1 Representative)
Impacted States (Rivers)
- 1 Representative Oil Companies & NNPC
- 4 Representatives Ogoniland
- 2 Representatives United Nations System
- 1 Representative Secretariat Headed by Project Manager
President Buhari also approved the composition of a Board of Trustees for the HYPREP Trust Fund as follows:
- Federal Government (1 Representative)
- NNPC (1 Representative)
- International Oil Companies (1 Representative)
- Ogoniland (1 Representative)
- United Nations System (1 Representative)
According to the statement from Adesina, it was also agreed that a contribution deposit of $10 million will be made by stakeholders within 30 days of the appointment of members of the Board of Trustees for the Trust Fund who will be responsible for collecting and managing funds from contributors and donors.
It also said that a new implementation template has been created at the direction of President Buhari.